Friday, March 29, 2013

A Noble Groom ... Releasing April 1



She’s given up on fairy tales, true love, and happily-ever-after. He’s running for his life after being falsely accused of murder. She’s widowed, poor, and has no hope of freedom from the tyranny of men. He’s forced to leave his lofty station in life and live among the peasants—a prison worse than the dungeon, it seems. Together, they learn to trust those they’d been taught to disdain.

Who better to tell you their story than Annalisa and Carl—the couple who made this historical novel what it is—romantic.
I'm glad to say, they've agreed to an interview:

Me: Annalisa, Carl. Welcome and thank you for taking the time from your family and farm to share with us your journey.

Annalisa (blushing): nods and clutches Carl’s hand.

Carl (grinning at his bride): It’s a pleasure.

Me: First, how’d the two of you meet? Was it love at first sight?

Annalisa: I was widowed and my Vater (father) sent for a husband for me from the Old Country (Germany). And no. It was not love. Love was only for fairy tales, not reality.

Carl: I was sent to the Bernthal’s home (casting a glance at Annalisa) her parents to aid her with her farm while she awaited her new groom.

Me: (Surprised) But, Annalisa, you almost married him, didn’t you?

Annalisa: I did.

Me: Why?

Annalisa: Because Vater said so. It’s the way things were done. Women had no choice, no voice, no position other than that which her husband allowed her.

Me: Carl, how did you feel about being wed to a woman you didn’t know?

Carl: I wasn’t about to marry a woman I didn’t love, let alone know. And truth be told, had I been warned I might face disease, devastation, vermin infestation, and befriend a murderer, I might have run as fast and far as I could.

Me: Interesting. Why is that?

Carl: I’d witnessed enough of a loveless marriage to know I wouldn’t be trapped in one—if I could help it. Besides, I already knew Herr Bernthal would hate me if he knew who I really was, although I didn't know why until later, so marriage to Annalisa really wasn't an option.

Me: But you agreed to remain with the family and assist Annalisa?

Carl: I didn’t have much choice . . . in the beginning.

Me: In the beginning? So you’re saying after a while you wanted to be there? What changed your mind?

Carl (grinning, mischief playing in his eyes): I’m not at liberty to say. You’ll have to discover that for yourself.

Me: I see. (Looking to Annalisa) What about you? How did you feel about this man’s presence, knowing he didn’t really want to be there?

Annalisa (giggling): He knew nothing about farming. I doubt he worked much with his hands before coming to my family’s home. It was a pleasant surprise to see he’d finished the plowing . . . just in time to begin the next phase of farming.

Me: You look radiant, by the way, Annalisa. Have you always had such an easy laugh and joyful smile?

Annalisa: Oh no. I’d forgotten how good it felt to laugh. And to smile? It took the kindness of a stranger to show me how to stretch my lips in an upward curve. (She leans into Carl as his arm curls around her shoulder, holding her close.)

Me: So, Annalisa, do you still believe happily-ever-afters and true love are for books and fairy tales?

Annalisa (blushing): No, not any more. Through Carl, Gott’s changed all that. I now know that Gott cares for even the smallest details of our lives, both men and women. I am not insignificant to Gott or His plans.

Me: I’m so glad you said that. So many of us seem to think we need to earn God’s attention and affection. Yet you’ve discovered differently, haven’t you? Would you mind sharing how you came to this realization?

Annalisa (smiles): Sure, I can share. But I think you’d like the way my journey is told in the book much better.

Me:Well, thank you for that.

And I agree.

The book is fantastic, published by Bethany House. Jody Hedlund has woven historical fact with a beautiful romance that tells the true-to-life tale of how difficult it was to immigrate and settle in America—Michigan to be exact. Women had once been nothing more than a glorified servant. Chattel to many men. Some men saw past societal norms and into the beauty of God’s creation, cherishing her as a person of great strength and worthy of his love, devotion, and protection. I highly recommend you purchase this book, read it, and share with your friends. 


Learn more about Jody Hedlund at Bethany House or her website
Jody's books can be purchased at Baker Publishing Group, Amazon, Christian Book Distributors, or Barnes & Noble. You might also find it in your local Christian Book Store.

Remember: The book releases Monday, April 1.
(disclaimer: Jody Hedlund and Bethany House teamed up with their marketing strategy when they sent me this free copy of A Noble Groom. However, the review I have given is not based on their generosity, but on the book's merit. I'm sure when you've read it, you'll agree.)

6 comments:

  1. VERY fun review, Karlene!! You are SO creative!! Love this! And thanks for the very kind words about my book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jody. I enjoyed writing this review almost as much as reading the book. :)

      Delete
  2. I cannot wait to read this book! Loved the review :) very creative! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome interview! So creative! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...