Saturday, April 6, 2013

Better Get the Coffee On ...

Zeke, the peddler, is stopping by today.

I do hope my brew is to his liking. It's definitely warm enough to drive away any chill trapped in his bones from the delayed appearance of Spring in our city.

I wonder if he'll bring Phoebe, or Maseppa ... Hmmm ...

Perhaps I should gather some blankets and prepare a fire in the fireplace. That'll warm the lot of them. Oh yes, and some hot cocoa, too.



A home for Phoebe by Yvonne Beverly Blake.

Set in the 1820s, when it wasn’t fashionable to befriend an Indian, much less invite one to live as a member of the white man’s family. And yet, Maseppa (Maseppequa), an Algonkin woman—once welcomed as part of Ben and Martha’s family—has vowed to care for their orphaned daughter, Phoebe.

I’ve not quite finished reading this tender look at the relationship forged between Maseppa and Pheobe. I haven’t had the opportunity to meet Zeke, Granny, or the blacksmith’s family.

But I’ve read enough to know I’m going to enjoy visiting with these people.

I think I’ll grab a cup of coffee and head over to my favorite reading spot and continue the journey.

Meanwhile, won’t you join me on this adventure?

I trust you'll enjoy this trailer put together by author Yvonne B. Blake.

 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I like the theme. I hope this book shall be translated in Dutch :-) But I can read English :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translated into Dutch would be great, Jedidja. I hope so too.

      Delete
  2. Dutch? Wow! That would be cool, Jedidja!

    Karlene, thanks for this fun post. (I like the gold background behind the cover. It sets it off very well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vonnie. I like the warmth of the page. To me, it feels like cozy fires and hot cider.

      Delete
  3. Please pour me cup...I'm on my way. The spring snow has slowed me down, despite following in Zeke's wheel tracks, but I couldn't resist your warm invitation. And from the snippets of Vonnie's novel that I've read, I think I'm going to glean a lot of wisdom from Maseppa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Cat. Maseppa is one of those you want to spend days with. So glad you could stop by. :)

      Delete
  4. Love your intro for Zeke's arrival, Karlene, and your blog? Wow!
    Ten more days and Zeke will be bringing his wares to my stop. Can't wait! I have my copy of A Home for Phoebe and plan to catch up with the excitement this week. Congratulations, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping. I'd love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...